Sunday, September 20, 2020

This Love

                         

“The minute I heard my first love story,
I started looking for you, not knowing how blind that was.
Lovers don't finally meet somewhere:
They're in each other all along.” Rumi

“Since I began to love, love has never forsaken me. It has ever grown to its own fullness within my innermost heart.” St. Catherine of Genoa, Life and Doctrine, 1551 

O Beloved!
As a traveller lost in the desert thirsts for water, I yearn incessantly for Thee.
This bee has tasted the nectar of your love – now nothing else can satisfy me.
In the intoxication of this devotion, I have lost my mind and forgotten my name.
Without hesitation, I leap into your Light; I burn like a moth in your flame! 

This love of ours is a deep mystery – what words can speak its glory?
When lover and beloved melt into one, who is left to tell the story?
You beat me like a drum, tune me like a violin, play me like a flute
Whose perfect notes resound when my whole being is mute.

This love is a singing in the Heart that is infinite, ecstatic bliss;
O friend, pay heed! 
Before you die, strive, with all your soul, to know this!


“If anyone should ask me what God is, I would answer: God is love, and so altogether lovely that creatures all with one accord essay to love his loveliness, whether they do so knowingly or unbeknownst, in joy or sorrow. God loves my soul so much that his very life and being depend upon his loving me, whether he would or no. To stop God loving me would be to rob him of his Godhood; for God is love no less than he is truth; as he is good, so is he love as well. It is the absolute truth, as God lives.” Meister Eckhart, Sermon 5

No comments: