Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Embrace the Self

 ( Painting by Meena Subramaniam)


“The Self that is subtler than the subtle and greater than the great is seated in the heart of every creature. One who is free from desire sees the glory of the self through the tranquillity of the mind and senses and becomes absolved from grief.” Katha Upanishad 

Turn away from the world and all its objects – direct all your attention within.

With humble devotion, embrace the source of your being.

As the creeper clings to a great tree in the forest, cling to the Self.

Let it be your anchor, your sustenance and your strength.

In stillness and silence, the mind is clear and bright.

Suffering ends when all thoughts cease. 

Rest in the Heart, dissolve in that Light. 

  O thirsty soul, drink deep from this fountain of immortal peace! 

"The Maharshi turns and looks down into my face; I, in turn, gaze expectantly up at him. I become aware of a mysterious change taking place with great rapidity in my heart and mind. The dislikes, misunderstandings, coldness and selfishness which have marked my dealings with many of my fellows collapse into the abyss of nothingness. An untellable peace falls upon me and I know that there is nothing further that I shall ask from life. This man has freed himself from all problems, and no woe can touch him.In this extraordinary peace, I find a sense of exaltation and lightness. Time seems to stand still. My heart is released from its burden of care - .I enjoy an ineffable tranquility merely by sitting for a while in the neighbourhood of the Maharshi.A force greater than my rationalistic mind awes me until it ends by overwhelming me.” Paul Brunton, Face to Face with Maharishi 


“Two years have passed since I last crossed the threshold of Thy ashram and yet in spirit I have ever remained there. Though illusion still often veils the vision of Reality revealed in the blessed Silence of Thy Presence, though the silver thread of Self-awareness be often lost midst changing light and shadows, still the inner urge to realise the Self remains and grows stronger and more insistent as Grace and search go hand in hand.At times, yet rare, with no apparent cause, spontaneous awareness of the “I” springs up and bliss fills the heart with glowing warmth. Effortless concentration goes with this state while all desires do come to rest fulfilled in utmost peace…..till once more, alas, the veil is drawn and illusion blurs the vision of the Real. Yet what the soul has experienced and knows repeatedly as Truth can never be denied or forgotten and “That which is” gives one the constant strength to persevere.I pray to Thee as to my Self for light and guidance that I know are ever there and at Thy feet lay offerings of unchanging love.” Letter to Sri Ramana Maharishi from Pascaline Maillert of France, 21st November 1938.

No comments: