Friday, December 24, 2021

Celebrating Christmas


 “Thou needst not seek Him here or there, He is no further off than at the door of thy heart; there He stands lingering, awaiting whoever is ready to open and let Him in. Thou needst not call to Him afar, He waits much more impatiently than thou for thee to open to Him. He longs for thee a thousandfold more urgently than thou for Him: one point the opening and the entering.” (Meister Eckhart, Sermon 4)

Today we celebrate the birth of the Lord of Light, the compassionate one who dispels the darkness and brings true comfort and joy.

He told us that we are made in God’s image and the kingdom of Heaven is always within us. He asked us to love all living beings and live a life of humility, faith and charity. He spoke of the purity of innocence, the mystery of grace, the magic of forgiveness and the power of living in the present. He proclaimed the truth for all to hear, but those who listened and understood were very few.

“I have one power in my soul fully sensible of God. I am as certain as I live that nothing is so close to me as God. God is nearer to me than I am to my own self; my life depends upon God’s being near me, present in me.” (Meister Eckhart, Sermon 69) 

If you would honour Him, seek Him in the depths of your own being. This is His kingdom; your innermost soul is His throne, where He shines brighter than a thousand suns. Go there. 

Throw yourself at His feet in unconditional surrrender and love Him with all your heart.

“Since I began to love, love has never forsaken me. It has ever grown to its own fullness within my innermost heart.” St. Catherine of Genoa, Life and Doctrine, 1551

 If you would know perfection, let yourself melt in that pure love and dissolve like salt in the ocean of His peace.

I wish you a blessed Christmas…may all your days be filled with His light!

“Those whose eyes are open do not need to go to a church and look at a picture or statue of the Lord. In the eyes of every infant, in the smile of every human being, they receive the blessing of Christ. If the eyes and ears are open, the leaves of the trees become as pages of the Bible. If the heart is alive, the whole of life becomes one single vision of His sublime beauty, speaking to us at every moment.” Hazrat Inayat Khan


No comments: