Monday, February 14, 2022

The Lesson

 

“Enlightenment is here and now: just rend the veil and you will be It. Do not wait for death -after death, no change happens; you merely end up in an apartment in the City of Death with the ghosts of your memories and the baggage of your unfulfilled desires.” From Lightsongs, the book.

This lesson of life, how long does it take to learn?

In blind obedience, I  followed the dictates of evolution.

For a thousand lifetimes, like a well-trained animal, I jumped through the hoops of destiny.

Again and again, I have fallen under the spell of separation, the great illusion.

Again and again, I have forgotten who I really am.


This time around, I hoped it would be different.

For over three score years, I  practiced my sadhana.

I read the sacred texts, chanted all the mantras, spent so much time on rituals and prayer.

I performed asanas and pranayamas, pujas and fasts, retreats and meditations and more.

Was it all for nothing?

In the last winter of my old age, will I still be searching for that eternal spring?

When death claims me, will I have to go through yet another lifetime to understand it all?

Enough is enough.


O merciful Gurudev, dispell my ignorance now, before this body dies!

Save me from this nightmare of endless death and rebirth.

Before the phantom mind drags me off again, absorb me forever in your peace.

Let the blazing sun of your presence in my Heart burn all the fog away.

At long last, O thou ocean of Grace, thou Rock of Ages, set me free!

“ Do not wander outside, eating the scorching sand of worldly pleasures, which are non-Self; come home to the Heart where peace is shining as a vast, everlasting, cool shade and enjoy the feast of the bliss of Self. Having annihilated the delusive mind which always dwells upon worldly things, having killed the restless ego, and having completely erased the vasanas, shine as Shiva, the pure Consciousness Itself.” Sri Ramana Maharishi.


No comments: