Saturday, April 30, 2022

The Tavern of the Mystic

“Come to the mystic, then, and sit with him when you are tired of all these other remedies that you have employed in vain; come take a glass of wine with him. The mystic wine is the inner absorption, which removes all the worries, troubles and cares of the physical and mental planes. All these are now done away with forever. It is the mystic who is truly at rest. It is he who experiences that perfect happiness which others do not experience. It is he who teaches the way to attain that infinite peace and joy which are the original heritage of man's soul.” Hazrat Inayat Khan
 

In the tavern of the mystic, a magical wine is served: I took but one sip and experienced the ecstasy of heaven. Now I am a shameless drunkard of the Heart, lost forever in surrender as a river is lost in the sea.

Poor addict that I am, I crave only that wine of total inner absorption: nothing else can ever satisfy me. People may scorn and mock me for always being drunk  – I care not! Lost in the Heart, how can anything of this world affect me ? In my father’s tavern, my intoxication is my protection, my joy knows no bounds.

“Abandon the drama of the world and seek the Self within. Stay within and I will protect you, ensuring that no harm befalls you. Seek my grace within the Heart. I will drive away the darkness and show you the light. This is my responsibility. Like the children of an emperor, my devotees are heirs to abundant rejoicing.!” Sri Ramana Maharishi,Padmalai, 

Now the days of my life flow gently and joyfully: whatever needs to happen  happens, whatever needs to be done gets done. Glad gratitude fills my heart to overflowing; drunk with love, all suffering disappears.

In the tavern of the mystic, I sit and I drink and I sing:

“Thou art my All in All, O Lord!-the Life of my life, the Essence of essence;
In the three worlds I have none else but Thee to call my own.
Thou art my peace, my joy, my hope; Thou my support, my wealth, my glory;
Thou my wisdom and my strength.
Thou art my home, my place of rest; my dearest friend, my next of kin;
My present and my future, Thou; my heaven and my salvation.
Thou art my scriptures, my commandments; Thou art my ever gracious Guru;
Thou the Spring of my boundless bliss.
Thou art the Way, and Thou the Goal; Thou the Adorable One, O Lord!
Thou art the Mother tender-hearted; Thou the chastising Father;
Thou the Creator and Protector; Thou the Helmsman who dost steer
My craft across the sea of life.” 
Favorite hymn of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.


No comments: