Tuesday, January 28, 2020

The Great Mystery

Thou infinite, eternal ocean of grace,
who can begin to describe your mystery?
O wondrous power of the silent void,
Spinning the vast web of this cosmos across space and time,
Being and becoming all that exists – pray, reveal your secret!
Life of all life, you are the formless, absolute whole;
Shining as unconditional love, your ineffable radiance is the origin of all light.

You contain all the worlds, yet, becoming smaller than the smallest,
You dwell as the very core of every creature.
Greater than the greatest, you stay lower than the lowest,
Perfect humility is the source of your divine, invincible might.

Gods and demons, sinners and saints, the fools and the wise, philosophers and poets and kings – they all try so desperately to find you, to know you, to seize and posess you, to use or appease or control you….all in vain.
Though so many worship you, none can see or understand or measure you;
All-pervasive and omni-present, like the invisible air, you hide so cunningly in plain sight.

Abiding so still in the cave of my heart, you direct my entire attention outwards.
Hypnotised by your illusion, I search for you in all the wrong places.
Driven by desire and fear, I suffer in the bleak desert of samsara.
Your compassionate grace manifests as the Guru to turn my attention inwards;
Only then does my weary mind fall still.
Deep inside me, when I find you at last – I disappear!

Now all that exists is your unending dance of delight.



“Liberation is losing the illusion of separate individuality and merging with the everpresent, uncaused, unchanging, silent stillness that is the blissful celebration of unconditional love.”
Robert Adams

No comments: